Skip to main content

Gym Hiatus

Coupled with the holidays and laziness when it comes to working out I became very inconsistent in going to the gym around mid October. There are so many reasons when it came to the laziness factor that really didn't make any sense for my fitness goals, but I gave in and didn't go to the gym as often as I was before.

Kind of a blessing in disguise however, because my back started hurting again and I had to go back to the doctors right after the new year. It turns out that my back damage is more extensive that what I been orgionally told. According to the MRI I had it done in February of 2015 I have two slipped discs, 1 bulging disc and some nerve compression at the very base of my spine. Suffice it to say I wasn't supposed to be working out in the first place. My doctor's office accidentally send me to physical therapy instead of a Neurosurgeon. My doctor is not happy with his staff, but as long as I don't have any permanent damage to my back there is really nothing that I can do to correct the error. Anger isn't going to help the situation or change anything so I'm choosing to just let everything roll and try to make my way to a neurosurgeon as soon as possible to see what we can do for my back.

Not to worry. I've had plenty of suggestions for leaving that doctor and going to someone else, but right now this doctor can get me to a neurosurgeon really fast and at this point I don't want to drag my feet because I've gotten mad at his office staff.

In November I had an appointment with my endocrinologist who told me that one of the three nodules I had my thyroid also grew since May. He said that he was going to see me in March and do another ultrasound. About a week before new year however, I got a letter in the mail saying that my endocrinologist left his practice and I was dropped as a patient. I went to my primary doctor and he said we could take care of all my endocrinology needs right there in this office. He said he is sending me out for an ultrasound today (1/13) at 4:30. Honestly, him being super motivated to get the ball rolling is very good to me. It shows that there isn't laziness or lack of motivation on his part. I just hope that his staff can get their butts together and get me to my appointments as needed. I now know that I'm going to have to follow up with every little thing because there is a lack of communication.

Surgery yesterday went really well too. I had a tubal ligation. The recovery has been fairly easy. The only thing that has bothered me the most is the pain in my belly button where they had the incision site and the pain in my shoulders and neck from the air they pumped into me to do the surgery. I'm just glad that the recovery is so minimal. I expected a lot more of a struggle.

In regards to my title;

My gym hiatus is basically coming from the issues with my back. I went to Planet Fitness and closed my membership last week before my surgery. It was a sad moment, but it was necessary. I will probably hold off from going back to Planet Fitness for a year. I want to give my nerosurgeon a chance to work with me and figure out what it is that they want to do to help with my back issues.

I am going to join Jonathan's gym and start doing laps in the pool once I'm able to submerge in the water. I need to have two weeks from yesterday for my tubal ligation sutures to completely heal. Apparently, I can't submerge my body in water until then. My plan of swimming laps in the pool and sitting in the sauna or hot tub will be great. At least for the next year or so. It'll give me an opportunity to still be active, but I won't be doing any weight training that might hurt my back.

So yeah, that's my update. Looking forward to getting into some activity again, but for now it is recovery time.

XOXO,

Maria

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun weekends!

Last weekend our church went on a trip and experienced some pretty stellar sights! We traveled to Kentucky for the 2nd time to visit the Creation Museum
It is just so amazing!! 

When we visited in May of 2014 my girls were so much smaller!  (Elena on the left was almost 7)
(Here is Allee with my father in law. She was about 1 and 1/2 yrs old)
Here we are in 2004
Here we are this weekend!
They also hadn't started construction on their new exhibit The Ark Encounter. It opened last year and we finally got to see it! WOWZA! It was incredible!
The BEST part was that my father in law always flies up to WV to be with us on these trips! Here are a few pictures of our trip! I posted a ton of Snaps too. Too bad they don't last longer than 24 hours. 
We took 38 people from our church!
I was in the fun bus. These were the most active and excited little girls. 
Allee stayed with her grandpa the WHOLE trip. They were two peas in a pod.
My main squeeze with a new little friend. The penguin looks like …

Oh Chicago, How I love you!

I absolutely loved Chicago!!! We stayed in Pinegree Grove which is a suburb about an hour outside of the city, but we spent most of our time in the downtown area. We arrived on Sunday night and relaxed with dinner and some games. Allee even got some of the girls to play Barbies with her





I finally got to watch Rouge One with our host which was right up my alley! Monday went on the Big Bus Tours and got to see every single building in the city!  Listening to our tour guides describe different key points about the city made it so much more exciting than just driving by the buildings would have been. We also wandered through Millenium Park and I got to have a Chicago Style hot dog! I visited The Bean, Crown Fountain, Lurie Garden, Jay Pritzker Pavillion and walked through a bit more of Grant Park.

















I also got to visit The Field Museum of Natural History and it was awesome! We were going to go to the Art Institute of Chicago, but we changed our minds once we walked into the lobby and saw th…

Week 11 Day 1

This morning I woke up after having Allee keep me up for almost 2 hours during the night. Needless to say I was completely exhausted this morning.

I lacked motivation to get to the gym. Instead of leaving with my gym clothes on to take Elena to school I just drove her in my PJs. Yep. Was totally too lazy to even get dressed.

I finally did come back home and got dressed, but honestly, what was I thinking?! Allee was awake which meant I didn't leave until 9:00 a.m.

Fail.
Its ok, I wound up having a great workout anyway. My video from after it is below.

Leg Day =