Skip to main content

My Take on the Pros & Cons of Homeschooling

I am sure this goes without saying, but the following is my personal take on Homeschooling. I am not a professional by ANY MEANS. This is only my 2nd year at it. Therefore, all my opinions should be considered just that; OPNION. No getting offended by anything I write please! A lot of people aren't in a place where they can homeschool their kids. That's just fine. Over time and with more experience I am sure that my views may change a bit. Either way, it's not personal folks! Ok. Let's get started.


Pros List

  1. FREEDOM!
  2. It can be so fun!
  3. You can tailor teaching to your child's personal "learning style".
  4. Co-Op is AWESOME
  5. Day Trips whenever you want!
  6. We can pace work to each specific child's needs. 
  7. Vacation Days are up to you!
  8. No Homework.
  9. No Science Fair Projects! 
  10. No fees on top of fees on top of more fees!
  11. No picture day packages that cost a TON!
  12. No tuition!!!!
  13. No Common Core!
  14. No boosters and or fundraisers.
  15. Portfolio Assessments instead of yearly testing.
  16. No Standardized Testing!
  17. No immunization requirements (if you are against vaccines).
  18. Registering to homeschool with your County is EASY PEASY!
  19. ANYTHING can become a learning opportunity! 
  20. No carpool and getting kids out the door for the bus! HALLELUJAH!

Cons List

  1. If you don't have a SELF MOTIVATED child it can be hard to give independent work and walk away.
  2. You do have to remember concepts that you have likely forgotten over the years. #MATHMATHMATHMATH #itisthedevil
  3. Unless you use a pre established curriculum it can feel intimidating to start. It did for me.
  4. It can be OVERWHELMING to choose how to teach your child. 
  5. STUFF EVERYWHERE! 
  6. If organization isn't your strength it can be a challenge.
  7. If your child has been in the school system it can be hard to adjust to home study. Example: Hearing the words, "I miss my school, friends and teacher." About 700 times per day. (personal experience)
  8. Sometimes you just need alone time and you don't get it because your kiddo is home! (I hide in my bathroom.) They still find me anyway. 
Now we talk about some of the stereotypes that people seem to not want to say in the face of homeschoolers & their parents, but think or even say behind their backs. 

I found this article and thought it was VERY true. 

Read this. It's short. Trust me! 

Oh! Here's another one I found rather intriguing!

Moving on...

I personally had to deal with a couple of these before I felt like I could get into homeschooling myself. I am only 2 years in and I still struggle. That's for another post though. I think my struggles are more personal insecurities and fears than anything else.

Truth be told. I am not proud of the list below. They came from a pretty uninformed and resistent place. Absolutions formed at the ripe old age of 18. Ugh! I cringe to think of how "smart" I felt then. I knew NOTHING! lol.

"WOW. That kid needs some socialization."

Oh yeah. I met my fair share of those homeschool kids in college that went through MASSIVE culture shock in the real world. My freshman year in college I befriended a girl who we'll call Meghan. After 1 semester of classes Meghan had to drop out of school because she couldn't handle being without her family and safe environment. Apparently college was her 1st real time away from home. It unfortunately cemented an idea in my mind that homeschool really couldn't be a good idea for me and my future kids. Obviously, I don't feel that way now, but man oh man! Did I ever then!

"Oh no. I could never deprive my child of the benefits of learning how to be part of a functional classroom environment."
I grew up going to public school and thought that my time in classrooms, auditoriums, rallies and the like were a crucial part of what taught me to not be the kid who couldn't sit still because I'd never needed to. Truth is, so many kids in schools struggle to stay still just as much if not more than homeschoolers. Kids are kids. Their school doesn't change that. Yep. My eyes have been opened over the years. 

"Just point out a student and I can totally tell you if they were or weren't homeschooled." 

Not sure why, but I thought I had some sort of homeschooler radar. Truth is; I really didn't. Ironically enough when I met my husband he seemed NOTHING like any of the stereotypes I thought were true. My best friend is the same! We met in our 30's and I would never have known she was homeschooled if she hadn't told me. Yep. I was wrong by a LONG SHOT!

*sigh*

So this is the point in the post where I honestly start to wonder what the heck I am doing here. Why am I writing this? Is it too long? Too unorganized? Offensive? Stupid? 


Yeah. I'll just stick with it anyway. 


Suffice it to say I have a daily love hate relationship with homeschooling. It really depends on the day. For now it's what I am feeling led to do. While it has it's challenges it's working for my family. No idea what the future will hold though. I am open to whatever God moves us to do next. 

What are your thoughts? Do you homeschool? What are your pros and cons? Let me know below!

Well, I better get back to homeschooling my oldest. She is currently working on History & Geography. Amazing how much we have both learned! 

See you next Saturday!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fun weekends!

Last weekend our church went on a trip and experienced some pretty stellar sights! We traveled to Kentucky for the 2nd time to visit the Creation Museum
It is just so amazing!! 

When we visited in May of 2014 my girls were so much smaller!  (Elena on the left was almost 7)
(Here is Allee with my father in law. She was about 1 and 1/2 yrs old)
Here we are in 2004
Here we are this weekend!
They also hadn't started construction on their new exhibit The Ark Encounter. It opened last year and we finally got to see it! WOWZA! It was incredible!
The BEST part was that my father in law always flies up to WV to be with us on these trips! Here are a few pictures of our trip! I posted a ton of Snaps too. Too bad they don't last longer than 24 hours. 
We took 38 people from our church!
I was in the fun bus. These were the most active and excited little girls. 
Allee stayed with her grandpa the WHOLE trip. They were two peas in a pod.
My main squeeze with a new little friend. The penguin looks like …

Oh Chicago, How I love you!

I absolutely loved Chicago!!! We stayed in Pinegree Grove which is a suburb about an hour outside of the city, but we spent most of our time in the downtown area. We arrived on Sunday night and relaxed with dinner and some games. Allee even got some of the girls to play Barbies with her





I finally got to watch Rouge One with our host which was right up my alley! Monday went on the Big Bus Tours and got to see every single building in the city!  Listening to our tour guides describe different key points about the city made it so much more exciting than just driving by the buildings would have been. We also wandered through Millenium Park and I got to have a Chicago Style hot dog! I visited The Bean, Crown Fountain, Lurie Garden, Jay Pritzker Pavillion and walked through a bit more of Grant Park.

















I also got to visit The Field Museum of Natural History and it was awesome! We were going to go to the Art Institute of Chicago, but we changed our minds once we walked into the lobby and saw th…

Week 11 Day 1

This morning I woke up after having Allee keep me up for almost 2 hours during the night. Needless to say I was completely exhausted this morning.

I lacked motivation to get to the gym. Instead of leaving with my gym clothes on to take Elena to school I just drove her in my PJs. Yep. Was totally too lazy to even get dressed.

I finally did come back home and got dressed, but honestly, what was I thinking?! Allee was awake which meant I didn't leave until 9:00 a.m.

Fail.
Its ok, I wound up having a great workout anyway. My video from after it is below.

Leg Day =